Sunday, October 25, 2009

City Life, Toronto

This framed oil on canvas was painted after a visit back home to Toronto. I grew up in Toronto as did my mother. She lived in downtown Toronto on or around Cherry Street. I took a photo from the neighborhood which I painted this from once I returned home to Vernon, British Columbia. It was November in Toronto when the photograph was taken and I tried to capture the dreariness and melancholy of busy city life. I wanted the viewers main focus to be the buildings, that is why the people lack any detail at all. I only want to sugguest them as they hurried to catch the streetcar.
I found the trip to be a great disappointment, and was extremely depressed when I returned home and I think the colors also reflect that. This painting is one of my husband and my son's favorite piece that I have ever done. They both appreciate the doom and gloom that is represents. It is very impressionistic in many ways, at least to me.

This oil on canvas, "City Life, Toronto"
outside framed is 16" x 20"

No comments:

Post a Comment